Using SERC Workspaces
SERC Workspaces are wiki-like areas on the web where groups can collaboratively edit web pages and share documents.
Each workspace page has editing controls in a pink box in the upper right corner of the page. Clicking this box will expand it to reveal either a login area or (if you've already logged in) a series of options for making edits.
- The Edit this Page button changes the text of the page into a directly editable box with a Save button at the side and basic formatting options in a menu bar.
- Links to other pages can be made using the link tag [link url 'text of link']. The details are outlined in the Editing Help link within the editing sidebar.
- The Upload File/Image button provides a screen where you can select files on your local hard drive, provide title and description and then upload the file to the workspace.
- The Create New Page button lets you provide the title for a new page, specify where in the navigation menu the page will live and (once you create the page) will provide you with a tag you can use to link to this new page. You can also move to any page in the workspace using the list at the bottom of the editing sidebar.
- In your working group, communicate who will be editing the page.
- Before you begin editing, refresh your page. This will incorporate the changes of the previous author.
- When you are done editing, save your changes, then 'exit editing mode.'
- The next editor will need to refresh their page before they begin to make changes.