Pursuing an Academic Career Virtual Event Series
Early career negotiations: Negotiating for what you need to be successful: March 28, 2013
Leaders: Christopher Thorncroft, SUNY at Albany; Kate Miller, Texas A&M University; and Julie Bartley, Gustavus Adolphus College
This event has already taken place
This virtual event provides an opportunity to learn about negotiations from experienced faculty and administrators who will offer their perspectives on negotiating for your first faculty position and afterwards as you continue in your faculty career. The presenters have experiences on both sides of the hiring process. Collectively, they (and the webinar series conveners) have held positions at eight colleges and universities, have mentored graduate students and post-docs during the negotiation process, and have negotiated with potential faculty hires. The webinar will include time for questions and discussion. We hope you will join us!
- To find out what can be negotiated for your first faculty position
- To find out more about other negotiations that are possible in your career
- To learn more about how negotiation works and how it may vary in different settings
Duration - 1 hour
Format - Online web presentation via Adobe Connect web conference software with questions and discussion. Participants will receive an email with instructions detailing how to log into the event approximately one week prior to the event.
Registration and payment - The registration deadline for this webinar has passed. The cost of the webinar is $30 (or $20 for NAGT members; learn more about becoming a member of NAGT).
Please email Heather Macdonald (rhmacd AT wm.edu) if you have any questions about this event or Molly Kent (mkent AT carleton.edu) if you have technical questions.
Biographical information has been derived from the presenters' faculty web pagesfaculty web page.
faculty web page
faculty web page.
References and Resources
Recommended online resources:
- Negotiations in the Hiring Process - this webinar event page, from the 2011 Pursuing an Academic Career webinar series, contains a screencast recording of the webinar as well as links to many resources related to negotiations in the hiring process.
- I've got an academic job offer: now what? - This presentation from Canada's University Affairs website features dean Robert Summerby-Murray, who offers insight and tips for negotiating your first academic job offer. While focused on jobs in Canada, the presentation includes information that broadly pertinent to applicants in the US and elsewhere.