San Diego Mesa CollegeAuthor Profile
This final lesson in the GeoMapApp course teaches students to use geospatial technology as a key method in finding answers to environmental problems.
Used this activity? Share your experiences and modifications
High School and Undergraduate level.
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
It is recommended that students complete Lessons 1-3 of this series before attempting this lesson.
How the activity is situated in the course
This is the last in a series of 5 lessons.
Content/concepts goals for this activity
At the end of the lesson, students will be able to:
- Use GeoMapApp mapping software and scientific data sets to explore real world scenarios.
- Use the scientific method to analyze data and propose a solution to an environmental issue.
- Understand how scientists and policy makers use data and map layouts to understand environmental issues.
- Communicate results of data analysis with a map layout and design a report or advertisement designed to educate the reader about an environmental issue and persuade a course of action.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
The student handout includes a set of 15 questions, to which answers are provided in the instructor's key.More information about assessment tools and techniques.
Teaching materials and tips
- GeoMapApp lesson 5 student version (Acrobat (PDF) 1.6MB Jan11 10)
- GeoMapApp lesson 5 instructor\'s key (Acrobat (PDF) 161kB Jan11 10)