San Diego Mesa CollegeAuthor Profile
Used this activity? Share your experiences and modifications
This final lesson in the GeoMapApp course teaches students to use geospatial technology as a key method in finding answers to environmental problems.
High School and Undergraduate level.
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
It is recommended that students complete Lessons 1-3 of this series before attempting this lesson.
How the activity is situated in the course
This is the last in a series of 5 lessons.
Content/concepts goals for this activity
At the end of the lesson, students will be able to:
- Use GeoMapApp mapping software and scientific data sets to explore real world scenarios.
- Use the scientific method to analyze data and propose a solution to an environmental issue.
- Understand how scientists and policy makers use data and map layouts to understand environmental issues.
- Communicate results of data analysis with a map layout and design a report or advertisement designed to educate the reader about an environmental issue and persuade a course of action.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
The student handout includes a set of 15 questions, to which answers are provided in the instructor's key.More information about assessment tools and techniques.
Teaching materials and tips
- GeoMapApp lesson 5 student version (Acrobat (PDF) 1.6MB Jan11 10)
- GeoMapApp lesson 5 instructor\'s key (Acrobat (PDF) 161kB Jan11 10)