Tracking the Gentle Giants
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
This activity is an introductory lesson in a 5 module series to learn basic GeoMapApp navigation and data usage skills and soe not require any prior skills or concept mastery. It is recommended that Lessons 1 and 2 be completed prior to this third lesson.
How the activity is situated in the course
This activity is the 3rd in a series of 5 lessons designed to introduce students to the software mapping program GeoMapApp. Lessons 1-3 are intended to build basic skills and cover concepts of seafloor topography, using real world data, seafloor mapping and satellite telemetry. Lessons 4 and 5 build on skills learned in the first 3 lessons and include higher order thinking skills and scientific inquiry.
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- Use basic GeoMapApp skills and mapping software functionality to explore real world scientific data sets collected by marine mamal biologists and oceanographers.
- Examine distribution and movements of blue whales, bowhead whales and Right whales based on satellite telemetry data collected with satellite tags and the ARGOS satellite system
- Add oceanographic features, including Sea Surface Temperature and Primary Prod
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
Teaching materials and tips
- GeoMapApp lesson 3 student version (Acrobat (PDF) 2.6MB Jan8 10)
- GeoMapApp lesson 3 instructor\'s key (Acrobat (PDF) 239kB Jan8 10)
B. R. Mate, G. K. Krutzikowsky and M. H. Winsor. 2000. Satellite‐monitored movements of radio‐tagged bowhead whales in the Beaufort and Chukchi seas during the late‐summer feeding season and fall migration . Canadian Journal of Zoology. 78:1168‐1181 (2000).
G.K. Krutzikowski and B.R. Mate. 2000. Dive and surfacing characteristics of bowhead whales (Balaena mysticetus) in the Beaufort and Chukchi Seas. Canadian Journal of Zoology. 78:1182‐1198 (2000).
Baumgartner, Mark F.; Mate, Bruce R. Summer and fall habitat of North Atlantic right whales (Eubalaena glacialis) inferred from satellite telemetry. Canadian Journal of Fisheries & Aquatic Sciences, Mar2005, Vol. 62 Issue 3, p527‐543.