How to Set Up the Earthquake Demonstration
and is replicated here as part of the SERC Pedagogic Service.
Materials needed for the earthquake demonstration are as follows:
- plywood (122 cm x 30 cm)
- 2 bricks
- ~30 cm of rubber surgical tubing (or bungee cord)
- fine to medium grit sand paper, ~96 cm x 10 cm
- ~80 cm of strong cord
- clamps large enough to surround bricks
- hooks to attach brick clamps to surgical tubing
- winch with crank and handle (an old boat winch works well)
- talcum powder
Set up time for the copper extraction demonstration is 2 to 5 hours, depending on availability of material and construction skills of builder. USGS Earthquake Model provides a list of materials, diagrams, and detailed set-up procedures.
Back to Earthquake Demonstration page