- Participants will identify curricular challenges students face in their department and co-curricular barriers to students' success in achieving graduation and career goals.
- The participants will produce a list of approaches and resources for helping students overcome barriers.
- We will produce a set of suggestions for how the Alliance can support next steps.
- Each participant will write an action plan for one next step they can take.
Session 1 9:45-12:00
9:45 Welcome and Introduction - Jim Swartz, Grinnell College
What do we mean by supporting the whole student in STEM? - Cailin Huyck Orr, SERC at Carleton College
10:00-10:30 Where are we now - around the table exercise.
- Think individually about what you perceive as the barriers to student successes related to supporting the whole student in your program.
- Share at your table: compare notes, describe themes that you found
- What are the successes?
- What are the challenges still ahead?
- Full group: Check themes, look for commonality; What are main themes that emerge?
10:30 - 11:15 Students Don't Know What They Don't Know - Norma Pérez-Kahler, TRIO -Student Support Services DMACC
Norma Pérez-Kahler Slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1.5MB Feb5 16)
- Questions and Discussion
11:15 : Group discussion on identifying resources and the role of the Alliance - Facilitated by Mary Darrow - Iowa State University
Mary Darrow slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 22.5MB Feb5 16)
Topics to consider:
- Building a sense of community
- Connecting to on-campus resources and support services
- Matching classroom and co-curricular activities with student lives
- Developing cultural competency
- Opportunities for engagement outside of the classroom
12:00 Break - If you do not plan to return for the afternoon session, please fill out a workshop evaluation.
Session 2 1:45 - 2:45
1:45 - 2:15 Out of Classroom support for Second year STEM students; Using data to assess impact - Jim Swartz Grinnell College
Jim Swartz Slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1.1MB Feb5 16)
- Questions and discussion
2:15-2:25: Reflection and personal action plan
- Write down one thing you are doing on your campus
- Write down one thing you want to start doing or would like to try
- What are the resources needed to start?
2:25-2:40: Facilitated sharing of practices that are working - Jim Swartz
- Second Year Survey (Acrobat (PDF) 92kB Jan28 16) shared by Jim Swartz
2:40: Workshop evaluation