In this workshop we will introduce instructors to newly created teaching modules on Ecological Forecasting.These materials take a structured approach to helping undergraduate students learn to apply the iterative forecasting cycle to develop an ecological forecast for a NEON site and practice creating forecasts that are effectively designed and communicated to managers and the public.
The goals of this experience are to:
- Connect with colleagues with a shared interest in teaching inquiry with open data
- Learn about strategies for teaching with large datasets that improve quantitative reasoning in students
- Integrate ecological forecasting into course materials
- Gain experience in working with education materials delivered through R Shiny applications
Workshop Meeting Date:
This workshop will take place in conjunction with the Joint Aquatic Sciences Meeting, at 1-5pm on May 15, 2022.
By applying to this experience, participants agree to do the following if they are accepted:
- Participate fully in the entire workshop.
- Bring a laptop for engaging in the activities.
- Follow the Code of Conduct –The Project EDDIE Workshop will be taking place within the Carleton Community and participants are expected to abide by Carleton's Policy on Sexual Misconduct.
DeVos Place - Monroe C, DeVos Convention Center, Grand Rapids, MI.
All materials (e.g. powerpoint files, links to R Shiny apps) will be available here.
- 1:00-1:15pm - Welcome and icebreaker activity
- 1:15-1:40pm - Introduction to Project EDDIE & Macrosystems EDDIE JASM2022_MacroEDDIE_intro.pptx (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 14.6MB May15 22)
- 1:40-2:00pm - Overview of Ecological Forecasting modules
- 2:00-2:45pm - Exploring a Macrosystems EDDIE module
- 2:45-3:00pm - Break
- 3:00-3:40pm - Macrosystems EDDIE module ctd.
- 3:40-4:00pm - Discussion
- What concerns you/excites you about teaching a module?
- Pitfalls and solutions
- 4:00-4:30pm - Integrating Macrosystems EDDIE into your course
- 4:30-5:00 - Questions and answers, further resources, debrief
- Macrosystems EDDIE- Macrosystems EDDIE overview.
- Macrosystems EDDIE modules - list of Macrosystem EDDIE modules
- EDDIE Webinars- examples of Project EDDIE webinars using project materials
- Project EDDIE Publications and Presentations
For More Information
For more information about this workshop please contact Tadhg Moore (tadhgm[at]vt.edu), Mary Lofton (melofton[at]vt.edu)