Homework 2_Missions Outside our Solar System
Julia Kahmann-Robinson PhD and Marjorie Chan PhD, University of Utah Department of Geology & Geophysics
Utilize the online software PlanetHunters to experience different star systems and the data provided by them to interpret whether or not planets are transiting.
Join Planet Hunters
1. Navigate to: http://www.planethunters.org. Register, and begin planet hunting...following the online tutorial.
2. What method is PlanetHunters using to detect planets?
3. What role do you play? Will your findings be used? Why or why not?
Classifying the star
4. Attempt to classify at least two stars. What were your two stars like? List the type of star below and how you made the determination.
a. Star #1 Type/Class
b. Star #2 Type/Class
5. What types of stars might you encounter? How do you discern the differences with the data provided? Draw examples of each star and the data they provide.
6. Draw below what a planet transit looks like below. From your observations, have most of the stars had a planet transiting? What does this tell you?