Manned Space-Flight: Is it needful?
In-Class Activity 1_Space Issues
Julia Kahmann-Robinson PhD and Marjorie Chan PhD, University of Utah Department of Geology & Geophysics
Discuss the issues surrounding manned-space flight and the future of space flight. You may also use the Statement to a Congressman/woman as homework for the in-class discussion.
- Disseminate copies of news articles and/or NASA goals for students to discuss in groups or...
- Summarize points of each article in a PowerPoint presentation for discussion.
- News Article (find most recent): http://www.science20.com/brinstorming/near_future_manned_spaceflight-93648
- NASA Human Space Flight Goals: http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/626738main_HEOMD2012Goals.pdf
- NASA roadmap for Astrobiology: https://astrobiology.nasa.gov/roadmap/
- Space-X CEO Interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiPJsI8pl8Q&feature=related
Poll students on whether or not manned-space flight is a good idea
- What is the reason for their choice?
- What is the history of space flight?
Manned-Space Flight Discussion in the News
- "The Near Future of Manned Space Flight" http://www.science20.com/brinstorming/near_future_manned_spaceflight-93648
- Discuss article and what the future might or should be.
- Review NASA Human Space Flight Goals: http://www.nasa.gov/pdf/626738main_HEOMD2012Goals.pdf
- Review NASA roadmap for Astrobiology: https://astrobiology.nasa.gov/roadmap/
- What points do students believe are important?
- What aspects did they not expect?
Space X Plans to put man on Mars in 10 years
- Interview with the CEO of Space-X (start interview at Time- 13:00-15:30) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiPJsI8pl8Q&feature=related
- Discuss what students think of this venture.
Statement to a Congressman/woman
Ask students to prepare a 2-page statement to a Congressman/woman recommending or declining space flight using NASA published goals and/or other publicly announced space flight goals.
- Have students identify a real and acting member of Congress and write letter/statement accordingly.
- Students must cite publications that support their recommendation
- Review student recommendations to Congress for understanding of current NASA goals.