The Energy of Rocks
Homework 1_Life-hosting Rocks & Minerals
Julia Kahmann-Robinson PhD and Marjorie Chan PhD, University of Utah Department of Geology & Geophysics
Recognize the energy of the environment by its sedimentary structures.
Corn Syrup and Water Experiments
Watch the following videos:
- Flume Experiment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRGuMddjRGg&list=PL17AFB4B8AB3DCCF7
- Corn-Syrup Experiment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3YZ5veN_Bg
Velocity of flow
Type of structures formed
High or low energy environment
Make an educated guess as to what environments on Earth would show similar structures. Where would you find these environments most commonly? [List at least one environment for the Corn Syrup and Water experiments and 1 region/area where they could be found.]
The Dynamics of Sedimentary Environments
Compare the following environments of deposition (Cathedral Cove & White Sands) according to the following parameters: [Write your answers a-c to the right of the image]
- Processes at work
- Strength of weathering and/or erosion
- Preservation potential of life
Sedimentary Rocks & Structures on Mars
Similar to the previous images, annotate to the right of each image (Escher & Shaler) of Mars:
- What structures do you see?
- What is a likely environment of formation?
- Was the environment high or low energy in your opinion?