Library Research Lab: Does the Ozone Hole cause Global Warming?
This activity has benefited from input from faculty educators beyond the author through a review and suggestion process.
This review took place as a part of a faculty professional development workshop where groups of faculty reviewed each others' activities and offered feedback and ideas for improvements. To learn more about the process On the Cutting Edge uses for activity review, see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: Aug 8, 2014
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
After completing this activity students will be able to:
- conduct academic research using the library and online sources.
- prepare a professional briefing paper as instructed.
- find and properly include relevant figures and photographs.
- prepare a professional annotated bibliography.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
- Understand that the ozone hole does NOT cause global warming.
- Get introduced to the library and its resources.
- Follow instructions and deliver a professional product on-time.
- Create a proper annotated bibliography.
Description and Teaching Materials
- Page 1 is the lab 'wrapper'
- Page 2 is the description of the activity
- Page 3 provides tips and resources
- Page 4 is the grading sheet
Presidential Briefing Paper Activity (Acrobat (PDF) 246kB Aug8 14)
Google Doc @ https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jfo_my3v0uQDegXkGXhNrm3KFkAANoSjwcPlM6DCr0s/edit?usp=sharing
Google Presentation @ https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1TY6YqBAd9cZFnPj8wduLCBBU2dDqsldTtVZdIcR9K88/edit?usp=sharing
Teaching Notes and Tips
I use this lab activity in-conjunction with a library information session where our instructional librarians introduce the students to the resources provided by the library and how to find reliable information on the web. The question (Does the ozone hole cause global warming?) serves as a framework and specific goal.
- The question can be changed as appropriate for a given class, but this briefing paper assignment works best with a narrow question with a clear answer and interesting broader connections.
- I find that it is helpful to give very detailed layout and formatting instructions as an example of what a professional document has to look like.
- I make students sign the cover sheet to create a level of accountability.
- Many students will not know how to professionally format a MS Word document, copy/paste figures, or how to prepare an annotated bibliography. Page 3 of the hand-out includes helpful tips and additional online sources.
- I include invitations for additional help and support in bold red letters.
- The grading table is included as Page 4 so that the students have an idea of what I am looking for.
As this is (for many) their first graded assignment in college I allow for revision and re-submission without penalty.