Simple Landslide Demo
This activity has benefited from input from faculty educators beyond the author through a review and suggestion process.
This review took place as a part of a faculty professional development workshop where groups of faculty reviewed each others' activities and offered feedback and ideas for improvements. To learn more about the process On the Cutting Edge uses for activity review, see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Reviewed Teaching Collection
This activity has received positive reviews in a peer review process involving five review categories. The five categories included in the process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: Apr 30, 2008
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Translation of force balance diagram and slope stability equation into physical model.
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
Critical shear stress = friction * [(weight stress*cos (slope angle))—fluid stress]
And discuss the physical properties encompassed by each of the terms. This in-class demonstration was designed to illustrate some of the physical properties encompassed in "friction" term. [I also go through many calculations and effects of changing terms on critical shearing stress.]
- 2 boards connected by door hinge
- Large rock (or brick)
- 50-grit (course) sandpaper (1 sheet)
- 1 sheet of overhead transparency
- Portable white board or sheet of cardboard
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment (Microsoft Word 345kB Apr30 08)
- Italian translated version of this activity, hosted by ICLEEN - La pendenza delle frane