As indicated on the workshop application form, participants are expected to do several things in advance of the workshop on Teaching Geoscience in the Field in the 21st Century. Here's a list of those preparatory activities and their deadlines.
By April 23, 2010:
- Register for the workshop. Note that all accepted applicants must register and that the registration form is not the same form as the application form that you have already filled out.
By May 24, 2010:
- Pay the workshop registration fee using the online payment form, if you did not do so at the time you filled out the registration form.
- Contribute a field activity for teaching geoscience in the field at the undergraduate level. You must do this on line using our activity submission form. Please do not email assignments to workshop conveners. Alternatively (or in addition) you may submit a description of a field trip that you have used in the past. (These field trips will also be made available via the National Association of Geoscience Teachers Teaching in the Field Collection.)
- Complete the participant survey so that we can generate a "snap-shot" of what's happening in field instruction today.
By July 1, 2010:
- Make your lodging arrangements. If you would like to stay in the dorms or in our reserved block of rooms, please see the lodging page. Please note that you are responsible for making your own lodging arrangements.
- Make your travel arrangements, then fill out the workshop travel form to let us know what your travel plans will be. Remember that participants must provide their own transportation to and from the workshop. Note: please make your travel plans so that you can attend the opening workshop session at 5:30 p.m. on Friday, August 13, 2010 with a reception and dinner. The main part of the workshop will not conclude until dinner on Monday, August 16, and it is essential that you attend the full workshop, including the full day on Wednesday. Participants who are taking part in either of the optional activities (Thursday, August 12 on teaching in the field using GeoPads and a post-workshop regional field trip August 17-19) should take those into consideration when making their travel arrangements.
- Those participants who are taking part in the regional field trip should have paid their field trip fee. Any unclaimed spaces for the trip will be opened up to the rest of the participants after June 1. Final payment by field trip participants will need to be made by June 6.
Before arriving at the workshop:
- There will be an informal poster session during the opening session on Friday evening. Participants are encouraged to bring a poster to highlight work they've done on Teaching Geoscience in the Field. In addition to bringing your physical poster with you, we would ask that you also upload it so that we can make it available on the workshop website. Please Note: we will not be printing your posters for you.
- Upload your presentation file if you are giving an oral presentation at the workshop. This will give you an on-site backup copy and will allow us to post your presentation on the website. You should still plan to bring a copy of your file with you. You will have the option of giving your presentation from your own computer, or you may use one of our laptops (both PCs and Macs will be available).
- Download the Medical Emergency Information Form (Acrobat (PDF) 5kB Jan13 04), complete it, and bring it with you to the workshop in a sealed envelope. We will open the envelope and read the form only in the case of a medical emergency during the workshop.