Download the Data for Viewing in CrystalMaker
Follow these step-by-step instructions for downloading the olivine structure data determined from experiments ranging from 110 to 1250 °
- Go to the American Mineralogist Crystal Structure Database and enter the following data into the search interface.
- Click on Chemistry Search to bring up a periodic table of the elements. Choose the elements Mg, Fe, Si, and O to restrict your search to members of the forsterite (Mg2SiO4) - fayalite (Fe2SiO4) solid solution.
- Click on Exclude Others to restrict your search to the elements you selected. The table should now look like this...
- Click on Search Selected Elements to return to the main search interface. Choose to download the data in "cif" format. The search interface should now look like this...
- Click on Search. A new page containing 18 files should now open. The first record should look like this...
- Scroll through the list, noting the temperature at which each structure was determined.
- To download each file separately to your computer, click on each of the 18 hotlinked "Olivine"'s one after the other.
- To download all of the files together, click on Select All followed by Process Selected Data at the bottom of the page.
Next, click on the hotlinked
to download the data.