Thursday July 2, 2015
Location: Grinnell College, Noyce Science Center, room 2022
10:00 AM Introductions and welcoming remarks, first tasks, and logistics
- Welcome and introductions
- Workshop goals and agenda
- Logistics - computer access, SERC accounts, facilities
10:10-10:30 Why we think that using social issues makes a difference - Jim Swartz, Grinnell College
- Jim's slides (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 300kB Jul2 15)
10:30-11:15 AM Examples of these types of projects
- LeAnn Faidley, Wartburg College "Community Engagement Activities in Engineering Education"
- Example Syllabi ES 151 syllabus (Acrobat (PDF) 328kB Jun26 15) ES 350 syllabus (Acrobat (PDF) 343kB Jun26 15)
- LeAnn's Engineering examples slides (Acrobat (PDF) 1.1MB Jul2 15)
- Shannon Hinsa-Leasure, Grinnell College "Teaching microbiology through civic engagement"
- LeAnn Faidley SENCER - Science Education for New Civic Engagements and Responsibilities
- LeAnn's SENCER slides (Acrobat (PDF) 464kB Jul2 15)
11:15-11:40 Brainstorming session using Brainstorming Grid (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 12kB Jun26 15)Brainstoriming Guide PDF (Acrobat (PDF) 326kB Jul2 15) : What kinds of projects would you like to pursue? Organize groups for work later in the day.- Jim Swartz and LeAnn Faidley moderate
11:40-12:00 Resources and models available from SERC - Cailin Huyck Orr
12:00-1:15 Lunch and small group discussion about possible projects, challenges, what types of help you need
- What scale are you interested in working on?
- Describe things you have tried and want to try
- What changes at a program-level would need, or like to see, to make these ideas possible?
1:15 -1:45 Report out from lunch discussions and organize into working groups
1:45-3:00 Small group working sessions - collective work on specific projects
- Use workspace page to develop project ideas
- Work on action plans General Action Plan guideline (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 16kB Jun26 15)
3:00-3:15 Break and finalize workspace pages
3:15-3:35 Share action plans with another group (10 min each)
3:35-3:50 Group reflections and discussion of next steps
3:50 End of workshop survey
This workshop is sponsored by the Iowa Illinois Nebraska STEM Partnership for Innovation in Research and Education (IINSPIRE) funds from NSF - http://iinspirelsamp.iastate.edu