For the InstructorThese student materials complement the Climate of Change Instructor Materials. If you would like your students to have access to the student materials, we suggest you either point them at the Student Version which omits the framing pages with information designed for faculty (and this box). Or you can download these pages in several formats that you can include in your course website or local Learning Managment System. Learn more about using, modifying, and sharing InTeGrate teaching materials.
Unit 3 Study Guide: ENSO
Use this guide to help organize your knowledge. Then test yourself by quizzing yourself on the terms with the definitions hidden and by answering the concept questions!
New Vocabulary or Terminology
- El Niño-Southern Oscillation (ENSO)
- SST anomaly
- trade winds
- recurrence interval
- How do each of the following change during El Niño or La Niña?
- sea surface temperature (SST)
- trade winds
- draw vertical cross sections of the ocean to match the data on these maps (think about how you would draw the thermocline).
- draw vertical cross sections of the atmospheric convection loops that generated these anomalous sea surface temperatures.
You can check your work on the NOAA El Niño Theme Page and by examining the 3-D animation of ocean temperatures at:TAO Ocean Temperature Animation.