InTeGrate Events at AGU 2017published Nov 29, 2017 12:00am
InTeGrate Events at the 2017 AGU Meeting
The American Geophysical Union's 2017 fall meeting is being held in New Orleans, LA, December 11-15, 2017 and InTeGrate will be there! Catch up with InTeGrate friends and learn about the project's activities.
Friends of SERC Gathering
For those attending the AGU meeting, we will have a gathering of friends of SERC (including the InTeGrate family) on Tuesday, December 12 at 7 p.m. This event is a nice opportunity to see peers, the SERC staff, and other people who collaborate with SERC on projects and who share your interest in geoscience education. This is a non-hosted event. We hope to see you there!
Tuesday, December 12 at 7 p.m.
Location: World of Beer (300 Julia Street), located in Courtyard by Marriott New Orleans
Stop by the NAGT booth #1527 for updated information on NAGT, InTeGrate, SERC, and other sponsored projects. Please also consider volunteering to work the booth, which provides a great opportunity to talk to members of the geoscience community, meet other educators, distribute materials about InTeGrate, and get to know some of the NAGT staff, who will be on-hand throughout your volunteer shift to assist if needed.
Various entities are offering a full schedule of education and outreach related workshops at this year's Fall Meeting. More information on the workshops is available via the Fall Meeting Web site
Tuesday, 12 December 2017
Sustainable Solutions to Societal Issues: Teaching Earth Literacy Across the Undergraduate Curriculum
Conveners: Diane Doser and Gigi Richard
Tuesday, 12 December, 8:00 A.M – 10:00 A.M.
MCCNO- Third Floor, Room 338-339
Town Halls and Events
Check out the list of Town Halls happening at the 2017 Fall Meeting. Town Halls offer an opportunity for government agencies, academic programs, special projects, and other focused interest groups to gather input from the broader AGU Community. Go take part and make your voice heard.
Check out the list of Science and Society SWIRL topics happening at the 2017 Fall Meeting. SWIRLs identify sessions across disciplines that have a common theme or topic. Plan to attend these sessions throughout the meeting!
Education Topical/Poster Sessions
Click on the links below to see session descriptions via the AGU website.
Tuesday, 12 December 2017
ED21C: Diversity in the Geoscience Community: Expansion Is Necessary ll, 8:00 - 10:00, New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center - 242
- 8:30 ED21C-03: Diversifying Geoscience by Preparing Faculty as Workshop Leaders to Promote Inclusive Teaching and Inclusive Geoscience Departments, Heather Macdonald, Cathryn Allen Manduca, Rachel J Beane, Diane Irene Doser, Sue Chaplin Ebanks, Jan Hodder, John Robert McDaris, Carol J Ormand
Wednesday, 13 December 2017
Thursday, 14 December 2017
U42A: Science to Action: Communities Solve Problems with Science and Scientists, 10:20-12:20, New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center- E2
ED44A: Interdisciplinary Teaching and Sustainability Il, 16:00 - 18:00, New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center–242
- 16:05 ED44A-01: How Earth Educators Can Help Students Develop a Holistic Understanding of Sustainability, Ellen P Metzger and Randall R Curren
- 16:20 ED44A-02: InTeGrate: Interdisciplinary Teaching about the Earth for a Sustainable Future (Invited), Cathryn Allen Manduca
- 16:35 ED44A-03: An Interdisciplinary Education of Sustainability, Energy and Green Economics, Monica V Sikand, Claudio Mazzatenta, Keith Wong, Aaron Socha
- 16:50 ED44A-04: Can role-play with interactive simulations enhance climate change knowledge, affect and intent to act?, Juliette N Rooney-varga, John Sterman, Eduardo Pedro Fracassi, Travis Franck, Florian Kapmeier, Victoria Kurker, Andrew Jones, Kenneth Rath
- 17:05 ED44A-05: Finding ways to grow skills, knowledge, and voice in the next generation of interdisciplinary sustainability scientists, Samuel G. Roy, Simone Pereira de Souza, Bridie McGreavy, Kevin Gardner, David Hart, Caroline Gottschalk Druschke
- 17:20 ED44A-06: Embedding Sustainability Instruction Across Content Areas: Best Classroom Practices from Informal Environmental Education, Renee M Clary, Ryan M. Walker, Cathy Wissehr
- 17:35 ED44A-07: Employing Model-Based Reasoning in Interdisciplinary Research Teams: Evidence-Based Practices for Integrating Knowledge Across Systems, Deana D Pennington and Shirley Vincent
- 17:50 Discussion
Friday, 15 December 2017ED53E: Interdisciplinary Teaching and Sustainability I Posters, 13:40 - 18:00 p.m., New Orleans Ernest N. Morial Convention Center - Poster Hall D-F
- ED53E-0197: Teaching about the Earth Online: Faculty-Sourced Guidance from InTeGrate, John Robert McDaris
- ED53E-0198: Using InTeGrate materials to develop interdisciplinary thinking for a sustainable future, Aida Awad
- ED53E-0199: Sustainability Instruction in High Doses: Results From Incorporation of Multiple InTeGrate Modules Into an Environmental Science Class, Laura Rademacher
- ED53E-0200: Embedding Sustainability and Renewable Energy Concepts into Undergraduate Curriculum, Radian Belu and Lucian Cioca
- ED53E-0201: The surfacing of past assessment strategies within interdisciplinary teams when encountering an open-ended assignment in an undergraduate sustainability course, Kevin Hartman, Dini Dzulaikha Binte Dzulkifli, Molly Anne Moynihan, Rino Salman, Nathalie Goodkin