Travel and Accommodations
The program will be held at Pasadena City College and Caltech. An annotated map of the EER venue will be available this Spring. Visit the institutions' websites for more information about the campuses.
Travel by Air
Participants traveling to Pasadena by air can choose from one of three airports serving the area:
- Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR) (recommended by Rendezvous local hosts for relative ease of travel between airport and venue)
- Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) (likely cheapest, but more difficult logistically to travel between airport and venue)
- Ontario International Airport (ONT)
Information about ground transportation to and from each of the the airports can be found on their corresponding transportation webpages.
Travel by Bus or Train
Travel by metro bus may be available. Check the Pasadena Transit site or metro.net for available routes.
Amtrak provides train service to Los Angeles via the Southwest Chief line, but does not operate a train into Pasadena. Mixed service (bus +/- train) routes may be available via their website.
Travel by Car
Pasadena is most easily accessed via the 210 East and West or the 110 North. Interchanges are in close proximity to the city center.
Information about ground transportation to and from LA area airports can be found on the corresponding airport transportation webpages.
Map to and Parking at Pasadena City College
Directions to PCC are available from the campus website. Campus visitor parking information can be found on the Pasadena City College parking webpage. Parking permits can be purchased for $2.00 a day from parking permit machines located on every level of parking lots throughout the PCC campus. All daily parking permit machines accept $1 bills.
Parking at Caltech
Caltech visitor parking information can be found on the Caltech visitor parking webpage. Campus visitors may park in any commuter (unreserved) stall on the Caltech campus with a daily or weekly permit. Permits are required in all campus lots between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. Visitor permits are available at automated pay stations at a selection of parking facilities.
If your institution has limited resources to support your travel to the Earth Educators' Rendezvous, you may be eligible for assistance from our workshop travel stipend fund. A limited number of travel stipends are available for those in need of funds. Stipends are awarded to applicants based on financial need and the potential impact on their participation and only to those that have met the application deadline.
The travel stipend application deadline is April 5, 2023.
Learn more about travel stipends »
Additional lodging information will be posted here soon.
Pasadena Hotel & Pool - Recommended
A block of rooms is being held for conference participants at Pasadena Hotel & Pool. This hotel is located at the corner of Colorado Boulevard and Lake Avenue, approximately 0.5 mi from both Pasadena City College and Caltech. To reserve a room for yourself within this hotel block, please read the instructions below. Book your room well in advance—by June 12, 2023, after that date, any unreserved rooms that remain within this block will be released. Face coverings may be required. Please contact the hotel for more information. Guest check-in time is 3:00 pm PT; let the hotel know if you will need other arrangements for early arrival.
- Rates (before taxes and fees):
- $189 per night for a king
- $209 per night for a double (limited number available)
- Outdoor rooftop pool
- Breakfast and dinner available in lobby
- Rooftop terrace
- Mediterranean-style courtyard
- Fast, free Wi-Fi
- 24-hour fitness center
- Self Parking: Self-parking is available for overnight guests at a rate of $29/night. Please contact the hotel directly for any questions.
- How to Book
- Visit the Pasadena Hotel & Pool EER Registration Link
- Select the days you would like to book (the block is available for Saturday, 8 July to Saturday, 15 July)
- Choose the type of room (if available)
Caltech On-Campus Lodging
Details coming soon
The Saga Motor Hotel
A block of rooms is being held at The Saga Motor Hotel located across Colorado Boulevard from Pasadena City College, approximately 0.8 mile from Caltech and 0.1 mile from Pasadena City College. To reserve a room for yourself within this hotel block, please read the instructions below. Book your room well in advance—by April 15, 2023, after that date any unreserved rooms that remain within this block will be released. Face coverings may be required. Please contact the hotel for more information. Guest check-in time is 3:00 pm PT; let the hotel know if you will need other arrangements for early arrival.
- Rates (before taxes and fees):
- Single (full bed): $105 per night (1 person), $110 per night (2 people)
- King: $110 per night (1 person), $120 per night (2 people)
- Complimentary continental breakfast served every day
- Free high-speed Wi-Fi and DirectTV in every room
- Refrigerator, iron and hairdryer in every room
- Beautiful outdoor pool
- On-site laundry facilities available to all guests
- Free parking with every room
- How to Book
- Recommended: Call the hotel directly to reserve the room and mention the code EER-2023. (626) 795-0431 / (888) 724 2126
- Or, book directly on the The Saga Motor Hotel website and enter "EER-2023" in the special instructions notes. The hotel will manually adjust the rates if you book on the website.
You are also welcome to arrange lodging for yourself at other venues. For additional lodging options, visit Places to Stay in Pasadena.
Pasadena City College, Caltech, and surrounding areas are filled with a wide range of cuisine at an affordable price. For more information, check out:
Special Accommodation Requests
The Earth Educators' Rendezvous is committed to providing universal access to our programming and supporting special accommodation requests to the best of our ability. Please check the box on the registration form if you would like a member of the Rendezvous/SERC staff to follow up with you to assist with accommodations that support your needs (e.g. accessible parking space, alternative formats, lactation room). Please note that we will do our best to accommodate your needs, but cannot guarantee we will be able to. Regardless, advanced notice is necessary.
Getting Around Pasadena
Pasadena is a large city with a population of over 130,000. While the city is walkable, transportation is also available and sometimes recommended.
Here are a few of the modes of transportation offered in Pasadena:
- Metro Bus Service
- Rideshare including Uber and Lyft
Pasadena, California is located in Los Angeles County, about 11 miles northeast of downtown Los Angeles. Pasadena has a population of more than 130,000.
Per the city's website, in July, the daily average high is 89 degrees Fahrenheit (32 degrees Celsius) and the average low is 60 degrees F (16 degrees C). Rain is rare in July.
If you have further questions, please contact Monica Bruckner (mbruckne @ carleton.edu).