- Icebreaker activity
- Speed Introductions - Who? Where? Topic?
- Workshop goals
9:00-9:15 Consensogram Activity
- How often do you share learning goals with your students?
- How often do you use data to make decisions about your teaching practices?
- How frequently do you discuss teaching practices and or student learning processes with colleagues?
- How often do you attend presentations about research on teaching and learning in college courses?
- The assessments I use in my course provide convincing data about student learning.
- Showing evidence of improving teaching and/or student learning is important in my department.
Consensogram Responses (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 906kB Jul21 16)
9:15-9:45 Jigsaw part one: Read article profile and discuss
Article summaries: Cheng Summary (Acrobat (PDF) 176kB Jul15 16) Haberyan Summary (Acrobat (PDF) 183kB Jul15 16) Kortz Summary (Acrobat (PDF) 498kB Jul15 16) Lenaerts Summary (Acrobat (PDF) 129kB Jul15 16)
Full articles: Cheng et al. (2004) (Acrobat (PDF) 822kB Jul15 16) Haberyan (2003) (Acrobat (PDF) 1.2MB Jul15 16) Kortz et al. (2008) (Acrobat (PDF) 1.1MB Jul15 16) Lenaerts et al. (2002) (Acrobat (PDF) 98kB Jul15 16)
Worksheet: GER Protocol Worksheet (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 8kB Jul20 16)
9:45-10:15 Jigsaw part 2: Breakout groups: discuss
10:30-11:00 Rank papers (1-4); Report jigsaw rankings
Pictures from day 1 activities (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 750kB Jul21 16)
11:00-11:25 Brainstorm your potential project
11:25 Daily Roadcheck
11:30 Adjourn for the day
8:30-8:45 Review roadcheck
8:45-9:15 Ensuring validity and reliability Validity & reliability PDF (Acrobat (PDF) 275kB Jul22 16)
- Validated instruments (e.g., GCI)
9:15-9:35 Qualitative vs quantitative methods Quantitative & qualitative methods PDF (Acrobat (PDF) 731kB Jul22 16)
- Advantages of qualitative and quantitative
- Mixed methods design
9:35-10:00 Conducting research on student learning Theoretical framework PDF (Acrobat (PDF) 4.4MB Jul22 16)
- Theoretical frameworks (e.g., Self-regulated learning, motivation)
- Beyond exam performance
- Methods from educational psychology
- A brief introduction
10:25-11:20 Project work time
11:20 Workshop evaluation
Links to helpful GER resources (Acrobat (PDF) 45kB Jul15 16)