What are the Components of a Successful NSF Proposal?
This session is for those who anticipate submission of NSF proposals for disciplinary research and/or geoscience educational proposals. This workshop is from the perspective of someone who submits proposals to multiple programs. We will discuss:
- How to follow read and understand an NSF program solicitation;
- What are all the parts of a successful proposal;
- When (and how) to contact an NSF program director;
- Understanding the review process;
- How to effectively present your proposal to both the reviewers and the panel;
- The importance of the broader impacts, and the many approaches to satisfying this component of the proposal; and
- The advantages and disadvantages of single PI vs. multiple PI proposals.
Goals of the program: The goals of the session are to demystify the process of NSF proposal submission and provide participants with helpful suggestions to increase their likelihood for success in obtaining a research grant.
3:55 Workshop evaluation
Suggestions for writing a NSF proposal (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 79kB Jul20 16)
CCLI Proposal (Microsoft Word 173kB Jul20 16)
CCLI proposal reviews (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 143kB Jul20 16)
Tectonics Proposal (Microsoft Word 136kB Jul20 16)
Tectonics review (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 183kB Jul20 16)
Presentation (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 249kB Jul20 16)