Lecturer/Lab Coordinator, Biological Sciences, St. Edward's University, Austin, TXSt. Edward's University invites applications for a Lecturer position to begin in August 2019. This is a non-tenure track position that is eligible for renewal.
- Teaching freshman biology courses (lecture and lab) for majors. The load is 5 courses per semester; a two course reassignment will be granted during the semester in which the successful candidate is responsible for lab coordination.
- Coordinating freshman biology labs in fall or spring (BIOL 1107 or 1108, respectively) depending on expertise including:
- Curriculum development and assessment
- Preparation of materials for all labs in a given semester
- Hire and train laboratory TAs
- Lead weekly meetings for all 1107/1108 teaching faculty
- Teaching non-majors or majors courses as needed and commensurate with expertise.
- The successful candidate will be expected to participate in Departmental service as appropriate (in consultation with the Department Chair).
- Ph.D. in biological sciences required.
- A strong commitment to and demonstrated potential for excellence in undergraduate teaching.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Successful candidate must complete an employment and/or criminal history background check
St. Edward's University serves a diverse population of 3,700 undergraduate and 500 graduate students on its campus in South Austin. Recognized as a minority serving institution and a Hispanic serving institution, St. Edward's seeks dedicated teachers who employ active pedagogy to engage a diverse student population. The School of Natural Sciences has experienced significant growth in the last decade attributable to its distinguished faculty, new facilities including >110,000 ft. of teaching and laboratory space, and our approach to engaging undergraduates in the classroom and in research. The Department of Biological Sciences offers B.A. and B.S. degrees in biology, B.S. degrees in Bioinformatics and Medical Laboratory Science, and a 3+2 BA in Biology and MS in Clinical Lab Science in partnership with the University of Texas Medical Branch, in Galveston. https://www.stedwards.edu/undergraduate/biology
Applications will be accepted and reviewed until the position is filled, with full consideration given to those received by Dec. 1. Applicants should submit application and all requested documentation online through http://stedwards.applicantpro.com/jobs/.
A complete application packet (single pdf preferred) will include:
- Cover letter, addressing why the applicant is a good fit for the position and indicating a commitment to the university's mission (http://www.stedwards.edu/about/mission) to serve a diverse student body and prepare them for a global community
- Curriculum Vitae
- Teaching Statement
- Undergraduate and Graduate transcripts (unofficial)
- The names and contact information for three references
St. Edward's University embraces excellence through diversity and especially encourages applications from underrepresented groups. St. Edward's University is an equal opportunity employer. We encourage women and minorities to apply to our vacancies and hire only U.S. Citizens and documented workers. We do not offer sponsorship at this time.
Reference #: J18121