Workshop on Diversity and Inclusion hosted by SMTI and ASCN (Accelerating Systemic Change Network)
This year immediately following the NSEC 2017 National Conference, we are hosting a workshop for practitioners engaged in improving undergraduate STEM education and experts in higher education change, with a focus on diversity and inclusion. This SMTI and ASCN (Accelerating Systemic Change Network) joint workshop will be an opportunity to bridge the gap between research and practice on transforming institutions, and network with others involved in similar change projects.
- Dates: June 24-25, 2017. Immediately follows the NSEC 2017 National Conference.
- Start Time for SMTI/ASCN 2017: 3:00 pm CT, June 24, 2017
- End Time for SMTI/ASCN 2017: 5:30 pm CT, June 25, 2017
- Location: Hotel Monteleone in New Orleans.
- Purpose: This meeting will be an opportunity to bridge the gap between research and practice on transforming institutions. We are bringing together faculty who are researching systemic change at higher education institutions with those who are making systemic change happen at their individual institutions. This will be of particular interest to center directors and staff.
- Audience: Any faculty, staff, and/or administrators who are implementing programs to improve undergraduate STEM education, and faculty who are researching systemic change at higher education institutions.
- Theme: The theme will be on diversity and inclusion in undergraduate STEM education; however, all researchers and practitioners are welcomed.
The workshop is partially supported by funding from the Helmsley Charitable Trust and the National Science Foundation.
Registration for the Workshop on Diversity and Inclusion
Registration is here. Additional information about registration (fees, FAQs) are here.
Registration is $145.00 and includes breakfast and lunch on 6/25/2017.
Start Time for Workshop 2017: 3:00 pm CT, June 24, 2017
End Time for Workshop 2017: 5:30 pm CT, June 25, 2017
Hotel Monteleone registration link: https://www.phgsecure.com/IBE/bookingRedirect.ashx?propertyCode=MSYHM&group=APL21F&arrivalDate=06/21/2017
- $155/night for a Traditional King or Traditional Double. Rooms are available 3 days prior and following the meeting dates.
Call for Poster Abstracts are here: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ZLWZTV9.
We will have a poster session at the workshop for you to share your successful programs and practices in increasing diversity and inclusion. Deadline is May 5, 2017 for poster abstracts.
The Association of Public and Land-grant Universities (APLU) launched the Science and Mathematics Teaching Imperative (SMTI) in 2008. It is a community of faculty, department chairs, deans, and provosts who are engaged in improving STEM teaching and teacher preparation.
The Accelerating Systemic Change Network (ASCN)is a network of individuals and institutions, formed with the goal of more quickly advancing STEM education programs. Our unique approach is to bring together those who are researching systemic change at higher education institutions, with those who are making systemic change happen at their individual institutions. By closing the loop between researchers and change agents, we aim to accelerate change at program and institution levels, and to improve STEM education nationally.