The Human side of geologic hazards
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Reviewed Teaching Collection
This activity has received positive reviews in a peer review process involving five review categories. The five categories included in the process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This activity has benefited from input from faculty educators beyond the author through a review and suggestion process. This review took place as a part of a faculty professional development workshop where groups of faculty reviewed each others' activities and offered feedback and ideas for improvements. To learn more about the process On the Cutting Edge uses for activity review, see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: Feb 17, 2010
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
- A description of the event and an understanding of why, what, where, etc; and some information about the population affected;
- Evaluation of the effectiveness and trustworthiness of charities;
- A poster used to educate the campus community about the science of the event and the needs. There is then a peer evaluation of the campus education and efforts to collect donations and get donations to the affected population.
- The final assignment is a reflection exercise. The reflection exercise will ask students to comment on what they have learned about the science of the natural disaster, their involvement in aide for those affected, their efforts to educate the campus and the effect their assistance had.
Download teaching materials and tips
- Assignment 1 - 2008 Haiti Hurricane Season (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 63kB Feb1 10)