Pre-Workshop Reading List
Jean Bahr and Catherine Skinner
- Risk Assessment for Toxic Air Pollutants: A Citizen's Guide (more info)
- Assessing Ground-Water Vulnerability to Contamination: Providing Scientifically Defensible Information for Decision Makers (more info) , p. 1-9.
- Contaminated Sediment
- Berger, Anthony R., 2003, Linking Health to Geology, in Berger, A.R., Skinner, H.C.W., eds., Geology and Health: Closing the Gap: Oxford, Oxford University Press, p.5-11. Used by permission of Oxford University Press.
- Plumlee, G.S., Ziegler, T.L., 2003, The Medical Geochemistry of Minerals, Dusts, Soils, and Other Earth Materials, in Holland, H., Turekian, K., eds., The Treatise on Geochemistry: Elsevier, v. 9. Used by permission of Elsevier Press.
- Skinner, H.C.W., 2000, In Praise of Phosphates, or Why Vertebrates Chose Apatite to Mineralize Their Skeletal Elements (Microsoft Word 92kB Apr5 04): International Geology Review, v. 42, p.232-240.
- Skinner, H.C.W., Nicolescu, S. and Raub,T.D., 2004, A Tale of Two Apatites, in Petrescu, I. and Ozunu, A., eds., Environment and Progress: Cluj, Romania, EFES Publishing, v. 2, p.283-288.
E. Scott Bair - Science in the Courtroom - Using a Mock Trial of the 'A Civil Action' Case to Teach the Scientific Method
- Mitchell, P., 1986, Contaminated Verdict: The American Lawyer, p.75-80.
- Bair, E.S., 2000, Developing Analytical and Communication Skills in a Mock-Trial Course Based on the Famous Woburn, Massachusetts Case: Journal of Geoscience Education, v.48, p.450-455. Used by permission of the Journal of Geoscience Education, National Association of Geoscience Teachers.
Barry Boyer and Jill Singer - The Restoration of the Buffalo River: Some Practical Examples of Teaching and Research Through Local Partnerships
- A Repulsive River Comes Back (Microsoft Word 162kB Apr29 04)
- Singer, Jill, 1995, Restoration of Polluted Waterways: (Acrobat (PDF) 829kB May4 04) Council on Undergraduate Research Quarterly, v. 16:2, p.93-95. Used by permission of the Council for Undergraduate Research Quarterly.
Lynn Chyi - Trace Elements and Your Health
- Poster: Trace Elements and Your Health (PowerPoint 474kB Apr30 04)
- Poster: Trace Elements in Water, Soil and Plants (PowerPoint 199kB Apr30 04)
Gus Davis - Environment, Pathology, and Risk
Laura Gehrig - Bone Health and the Environment
Mickey Gunter - Asbestos Concerns in the 21st Century: The Libby, Montana Issue
- Skinner, H.C.W., 2003, Mineralogy of Asbestos Minerals: Indoor and Built Environment, v.0, p.1-6.
- Gunter, M., 1994, Asbestos as a Metaphor for Teaching Risk Perception: Journal of Geoscience Education, v.42, p.17-24. Used by permission of the Journal of Geoscience Education, National Association of Geoscience Teachers.
- Bandli, B.R., 2002, An Overview of the Mining History, Geology, Mineralogy, and Amphibole-asbestos Health Effects of the Rainy Creek Igneous Complex, Libby, Montana, U.S.A.: A Case Study in Teaching Environmental Mineralogy [M.S. Thesis]: Moscow, University of Idaho.
- Visit Mickey's personal Geology and Human Health workshop site for additional resources.
Yan Zheng - A Capstone Undergraduate Course Based on the Arsenic Problem in Bangladesh Groundwater