Plate Tectonics Basics 1
Students sketch cross section beneath mid-ocean ridge and subduction zone before and after viewing animation.
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
Description and Teaching Materials
- Instructor reads rubric (Instructor Rubric (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 127kB Oct22 15) ) before class and prints out one template (Animation Assessment Template (Acrobat (PDF) 80kB Oct22 15)) for each student.
- Students sketch (in pencil) before watching and listening to animation
- Students watch and listen to animation
- Students sketch (in pencil) before watching and listening to animation.
- Instructors can score sketches before and after viewing to assess student learning
- We would appreciate if sketches are scanned and sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Teaching Notes and Tips
References and Resources
Stern, R.J., 2002. Subduction Zones. Reviews of Geophysics, 40, 10.1029/2001RG000108
Stern, R. J. 1998. A Subduction Primer for Instructors of Introductory Geology Courses and Authors of Introductory Geology Textbooks. J. Geoscience Education, 46, 221-228.