Limits to Growth
As a part of the 2012 Workshop, we will have a panel session discussion of the book Limits to Growth: The 30-Year Update by Donella Meadows, Jørgen Randers, and Dennis Meadows (2004). This book constitutes the third in a series that began in 1972 with The Limits to Growth by the same authors with the addition of William W. Behrens III. Below you will find resources that extend the work of the authors and speak to the issues raised in the book. This page will also become the repository for the discussion and work of the panel session.
Resources from the Session
- Limits of Growth PowerPoint (PowerPoint 2007 (.pptx) 1.4MB Jun1 12)
- Publisher's Website for Book
- Is it too late for Sustainable Development?: This interview with Dennis Meadows was published in Smithsonian Magazine.
- Perspectives on Limits to Growth: Challenges to Building a Sustainable Planet - March 2012 Symposia on the 40th anniversary of original publication
- Preparing for Life with MUCH Less Energy - April 1, 2010 Convocation presentation by Dennis Meadows ('64) at Carleton College
- Club of Rome - This international think-tank commissioned the original research in 1972 to examine issues such as a sustainable future vs. societal collapse and the creation of a human economy that provides sufficiently for all. They continue to support and disseminate this work and have web resources related to helping people understand the science and implications.
- Barnosky, A.D. (2012). Approaching a state shift in Earth's biosphere. Nature, v486, p52-58.
- Teaching activity: Book Review of a Popular Science Book
- Teaching activity: Increasing students' comprehension of assigned readings and participation in class discussions through QRS, an active reading strategy
- Teaching activity: Environmental Footprint
- Teaching activity: The Lifestyle Project
- Teaching activity: Population Growth