Knowledge Survey Questions - Geomorphology
Bloom's Taxonomy Level - 2
- Draw an equilibrium profile of a river, and explain how water discharge, slope, channel width, and water velocity change as a function of distance downstream.
- What geologic processes control large-scale geomorphology on earth?
- What are the primary controls on sediment transport in coastal environments?
Bloom's Taxonomy Level - 4
- Draw a plot of water velocity in both plan view (cross-section) and along a vertical profile (bed to surface) in a river. What controls this pattern?
- Compare/contrast the process of abrasion in fluvial and glacial systems.
- Compare/contrast the processes of isostasy and flexure, and explain which is more important in supporting topography.
- Explain how cosmogenic radionuclide dating can be appropriately used to determine the age of a marine terrace.
- How does climate affect landscape evolution?
Bloom's Taxonomy Level - 5
- Write the equation for shear stress and describe at least three geomorphic processes that are controlled by this parameter.
- Explain the triggers for debris flows, and give at least three examples of how humans exacerbate the frequency and magnitude of these events.
Bloom's Taxonomy Level - 6
- Develop a field study for determining the rate and controls on chemical and physical weathering. Assume you have only 3 years to conduct the study.
- Explore the relationship between climate change and karst development in temperate environments.