Knowledge Survey Questions - Environmental Geology
Bloom's Taxonomy Level - 2
- How do levees affect river morphology, and why do they increase the long-term risk of damaging flooding?
- How do septic systems differ from municipal water treatment systems, and which depends most sensitively on geology?
- What tectonic settings are of most concern from the perspective of geologic hazard, and why?
- What controls climate on millennial timescales?
Bloom's Taxonomy Level - 4
- Explain how natural floodplains form and argue for how we should best utilize this part of our landscape.
- What is stage, and why is it more important than water discharge for flood prediction?
- Why is hydrothermal power not considered a renewable resource, and explain some of the possible problems with renewable resources like solar and wind energy.
- Explain the controls on the rate and pathway of groundwater flow, and why we should care.
Bloom's Taxonomy Level - 6
- How does urbanization affect the rate and magnitude of mass movements in mountainous environments?
- How do dams affect sediment transport in rivers, and what effects might this have on river ecosystems?