Silurian Biostratigraphy and Paleoecology Lab
This activity has benefited from input from faculty educators beyond the author through a review and suggestion process.
This review took place as a part of a faculty professional development workshop where groups of faculty reviewed each others' activities and offered feedback and ideas for improvements. To learn more about the process On the Cutting Edge uses for activity review, see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Exemplary Teaching Collection
Resources in this top level collection a) must have scored Exemplary or Very Good in all five review categories, and must also rate as “Exemplary” in at least three of the five categories. The five categories included in the peer review process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: Jun 17, 2009
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
lithologic record of sea-level change
lithologic and time-correlation
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
formulation of hypotheses
synthesis of ideas
Other skills goals for this activity
graphic representation of data
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment:biostratigraphy and paleoecology exercise (Microsoft Word 531kB Aug2 09)
- Instructors Notes:Figure 3 Time-Stratigraphic Chart for Students (Acrobat (PDF) 3kB Jun17 09)
- Solution Set:Cross-section Solution (Acrobat (PDF) 46kB Jun17 09)
- Data_sections1thru9 (Acrobat (PDF) 73kB Jun17 09)
- A Solution for Figure 3 Time-Stratigraphic Chart (Acrobat (PDF) 10kB Jun17 09)
Miall, A.D., 1984, Principles of Sedimentary Basin Analysis. Springer-Verlag New York, 490p.
Harland, W.B., Armstrong, R.L., Cox, A.V., Craig, L.E., Smith, A.G., and Smith, D.G., 1990, A Geologic Time Scale 1989, Cambridge University Press, 263p.