Introduction to Ocean Science
Resource Type: Course Information
Grade Level: College Lower (13-14)
Theme: Teach the Earth:Course Topics:Oceanography, Teach the Earth:Teaching Environments:Intro Geoscience
Earth System Topics: Oceans
- find and use tide data on the internet.
- interpret an unfamiliar navigation chart.
- use GeoMapApp to create a bathymetry profile for anywhere in the ocean.
- predict Ekman transport in unfamiliar wind situations.
- predict the direction of geostrophic currents given a horizontal pressure gradient.
- predict locations of major bathymetric provinces based on the locations of lithospheric plate boundaries.
- identify regions of active seismicity based on locations of lithospheric plate boundaries.
- predict upwelling and downwelling given a wind field.
- read and understand any news item with oceanography content.
- understand oceanography well enough to make informed decisions when voting.
- know what currents they are likely to encounter when they set out on an ocean voyage.
- take precautions so they do not introduce invasive marine species.
How course activities and course structure help students achieve these goals: