Earthquake Compare and Contrast Paper
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Exemplary Teaching Collection
Resources in this top level collection a) must have scored Exemplary or Very Good in all five review categories, and must also rate as “Exemplary” in at least three of the five categories. The five categories included in the peer review process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: May 30, 2013
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- research two different earthquakes and associated tsunami
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
- compare and contrast two famous tsunami generating earthquakes
Other skills goals for this activity
- write a research-based term paper utitlizing peer reviewed articles
- use GEOREF to locate sources of information
- use interlibrary loan to obtain peer-reviewed articles.
Description and Teaching Materials
I would assign this at the beginning of the semester. I would ask students to provide a general outline as well as show me their sources well before the paper deadline.
Earthquake Paper (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 19kB May30 13)