The Usefulness of Tidal Charts
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Exemplary Teaching Collection
Resources in this top level collection a) must have scored Exemplary or Very Good in all five review categories, and must also rate as “Exemplary” in at least three of the five categories. The five categories included in the peer review process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: May 29, 2013
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- Students will be able to identify diurnal, semidiurnal, and mixed tidal patterns
- Students will interpret real tidal chart data and make "decisions" about various scenarios that rely on tidal conditions.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
- Students will become familiar with a global tidal data base accessible via the internet
- Students will learn about practical situations in which knowledge of the tides is important
Description and Teaching Materials
The handout is pretty self-explanatory. I would suggest giving it to students with at least 45 minutes of class time to work. If the internet is available, the last part can be completed in class. Otherwise this could be assigned as homework.Tides Handout (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 958kB May22 13)
Teaching Notes and Tips
Although I have provided an answer key, there are some instances where many possible answers would be acceptable, especially for questions 4-7. Also, question 7 asks students to look at CURRENT TIDAL CONDITIONS, so of course you will need to do this as well to grade this part.
Tides Answer Key (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 81kB May22 13)
Here are five possible assessment questions with answers.
Tides assessment (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 836kB May22 13)
References and Resources