Making the "black box" model more transparent
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
1) Generate ideas with the mystery box
2) Share out ideas in a Poster Session/Gallery Walk
3) Recreate your box with limited materials
4) Discuss how this represents geologic ways of thinking
Metacognitive components of the activityThere are multiple opportunities for student reflection throughout the activity in order to reflect on their learning and their confidence level.
Metacognitive goals for this activity:Assist students in connecting their own ways of thinking (habits of mind) with those of a geoscientist.
Assessing students' metacognitionStudents who actively engage with content are more likely to be able to visualize the content goals and reflection is an important way for students to clarify their own meaning making process.
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment (Microsoft Word 41kB Nov21 08)
- Instructors Notes (Microsoft Word 28kB Nov21 08)
- This activity has supplemental information submitted as part of the InTeGrate Teaching the Methods of Geoscience workshop in June 2012.