Poleward Heat Transport Jigsaw
This activity has benefited from input from faculty educators beyond the author through a review and suggestion process.
This review took place as a part of a faculty professional development workshop where groups of faculty reviewed each others' activities and offered feedback and ideas for improvements. To learn more about the process On the Cutting Edge uses for activity review, see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This activity was selected for the On the Cutting Edge Exemplary Teaching Collection
Resources in this top level collection a) must have scored Exemplary or Very Good in all five review categories, and must also rate as “Exemplary” in at least three of the five categories. The five categories included in the peer review process are
- Scientific Accuracy
- Alignment of Learning Goals, Activities, and Assessments
- Pedagogic Effectiveness
- Robustness (usability and dependability of all components)
- Completeness of the ActivitySheet web page
For more information about the peer review process itself, please see http://serc.carleton.edu/NAGTWorkshops/review.html.
This page first made public: Oct 21, 2008
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment (Acrobat (PDF) 72kB Oct21 08)
- Instructors Notes (Acrobat (PDF) 104kB Oct21 08)
- Map of Incoming Solar Radiation (Acrobat (PDF) 509kB Oct21 08)
- Map of Absorbed Solar Radiation (Acrobat (PDF) 542kB Oct21 08)
- Map of Outgoing Terrestrial Radiation (Acrobat (PDF) 527kB Oct21 08)
- Italian translated version of this activity, hosted by ICLEEN - Analisi del Bilancio Radiativo Terrestre
Sawyer, Henning, Shipp, & Dunbar (2005). A Data Rich Exercise for Discovering Plate Boundary Processes. Journal of Geoscience Education, v. 53, n. 1, p. 65-74.
Data used in this exercise were collected in the National Aeronautics and Space Administration's Earth Radiation Budget Experiment (ERBE), and plotted using the online viewer of the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory/International Research Institute Climate Data Library: http://iridl.ldeo.columbia.edu/SOURCES/.NASA/.ERBE/.Climatology/