From Grid to Home
This activity has been selected for inclusion in the CLEAN collection.
This activity has been extensively reviewed for inclusion in the Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness Network's collection of educational resources. For information the process and the collection, see http://cleanet.org/clean/about/selected_by_CLEAN.
This page first made public: Jun 2, 2009
This activity can be adapted for various levels.
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
Basic math skills for calculations
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- Analyze energy source, usage, and cost by region of US
- Compare household energy use to regional norms
- Calculate household CO2 emissions based on electricity source
- Discuss ways to reduce electrical footprint
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
- Interpretation of tabular and graphical data
- Ability to analyze energy use patterns
Other skills goals for this activity
- Communication via writing and oral presentation
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment: Grid to Home Worksheet (Microsoft Word 312kB May19 09)
- Instructors Notes:
- Solution Set:
- Grid to Home Dataset (Excel 19kB May19 09)
This map, arranged by census region, illustrates the diversity of fuel use and shows how the electricity generation mixes in various regions of the country differ.
Average Monthly Electric Bill by Sector, Census Division, and State 2007, from the Energy Information Administration.