Climate Around the World
This activity has been selected for inclusion in the CLEAN collection.
This activity has been extensively reviewed for inclusion in the Climate Literacy and Energy Awareness Network's collection of educational resources. For information the process and the collection, see http://cleanet.org/clean/about/selected_by_CLEAN.
This page first made public: Mar 31, 2010
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- Explain how temperature and precipitation vary with longitude and latitude.
- Explain why the seasonal range of temperature varies around the globe.
- Explain factors that lead to regional differences in climate.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
- Analyze meteorological data (specifically, know how to calculate a 'mean' and a 'seasonal range').
- Synthesize data with that collected by classmates.
- Form hypotheses regarding why climate varies regionally.
Other skills goals for this activity
- Search WWW for weather and climate information around the world.
- Convert degrees Celsius to degrees Fahrenheit if necessary.
- Work in a group to develop a means of presenting information.
Description of the activity/assignment
Determining whether students have met the goals
- Students develop posters based on the information they have gathered.
- Students share their interpretations of the data orally in class discussion.
- Students submit a worksheet with answers to questions about global climate.
Download teaching materials and tips
- Activity Description/Assignment (Microsoft Word 45kB Mar26 10)
- Instructors Notes (Microsoft Word 36kB Mar26 10)
- Italian translated version of this activity, hosted by ICLEEN