Evolutionary Computation: Research Project Proposal to Analyze and Replicate the Experimental Results of a Published Research Article
For this research proposal, students will choose a currently published research paper in the field of Evolutionary Computation. They will write a proposal as if they were the original authors, where they will clearly explain the question the paper is meant to address, the thesis or theses proposed, and the experiments planned to test these theses. The students will also include a justification of these experiments as being sufficient to test the proposed theories, and/or further experiments that should be done to fully address the question asked in the published paper.
Context for Use
Description and Teaching Materials
Materials given to the students will be
1. A list of many research papers to choose from (though it will be open to them to choose another they find on their own).
2. Examples of good and bad research proposals to help them understand what it should consist of.
Teaching Notes and Tips
1. General writing assessment, is the paper clear and concise, easy to follow, well-edited for grammer, etc...
2. Did the students identify and clearly state the question the original published paper is meant to address
3. Did the students identify and clearly state the thesis/theses proposed by the original paper
4. Did the students identify and clearly state the experiments proposed by the original paper to answer the question
5. Did the students analyze and critique the proposed experiments as being sufficient to answer the stated question.