2018 InTeGrate Faculty Mentoring Network—Deadline Dec. 11published Nov 27, 2017 12:00am
Are you interested in adopting interdisciplinary modules that address sustainability and climate change? Apply now to join the 2018 InTeGrate Faculty Mentoring Network (FMN).
Accepted applicants will focus on how to use data-driven modules designed by the InTeGrate Project in undergraduate biology courses. They will participate in virtual sessions (including the January 2018 kick-off event) and then continue to collaborate and receive mentoring online as they customize and implement activities in their own classrooms. There are no costs to participate.
Applications are due December 11, 2017. Space is limited, and the network is launching soon, so apply now!
- Dates & Location: The virtual kick-off workshop will take place in mid-January (day and time TBD and will be scheduled with the accepted participants). The FMN will continue online to support the customization and implementation of activities in your course during the Spring 2018 semester. Interested participants are encouraged to share their results at discipline-specific conferences and/or at the Earth Educators Rendezvous in Lawrence, KS in July 2018.
- Description: InTeGrate is joining forces with QUBES to work with biology faculty who are interested in field testing existing interdisciplinary curriculum modules that focus on sustainability and climate change. The InTeGrate modules were developed by interdisciplinary teams of faculty from diverse higher educational settings. All modules address Earth-related grand challenges that face society and are designed to develop student ability to address interdisciplinary problems related to sustainability.
The InTeGrate suite of high-quality, hands-on, data-driven educational modules is suitable for use in a variety of undergraduate classrooms. Participating teachers will be encouraged to mix and match parts of modules and customize them for use in their classrooms.
- How to Apply: Applications are due December 11, 2017. We are actively seeking participation from faculty at diverse institution types and serving diverse student populations. Accepted applicants will be notified by December 15, 2017. Space is limited: only 12 participants will be selected.
- Commitment:To qualify, participants must be willing to incorporate InTeGrate materials into at least three class periods (or equivalent) in their teaching during the Spring 2018 semester. Participants must also be able to commit ~1 hour per week for working with mentors and collaborating with other participants around the customization and implementation of the teaching materials. Additional time outside of these discussions may be required for independent work on adapting and reviewing modules.
- Benefits of Participation
- Support for further development of pedagogical material focused on bringing data into the biology classroom
- Access to peer mentors on lecture/classroom/lab effective tips and strategies in small group virtual meetings every two weeks for the length of the FMN
- Certificate of completion sent to the participant's Provost/VP upon completion of all network requirements
- More Information and Questions: Additional information about the InTeGrate project and this Faculty Mentoring Network is available at https://qubeshub.org/groups/integrate2018. To view the products of previous InTeGrate and QUBES Faculty Mentoring Networks, visit the InTeGrate website. If you have questions, please feel free to contact Gaby Hamerlinck at gaby.hamerlinck at bioquest.org or Jennifer Hanselman at jhanselman at westfield.ma.edu