A Guide to Cataloging at SERC
This cataloging guide is pretty out of date and doesn't really reflect current practice. See Sean for more details...
This guide covers several aspects of cataloging resources for SERC. These pages provide detailed information on just about everything that a cataloger needs to know about the whole process. If you are new to cataloging, you'll want to read through all of this information. Otherwise, use these pages as a handy reference as you work.
Within this module you will find
- Cataloging process: overview, initial decisions and how we track the process
- How to use catalog queues to track your work
- Making Catalog Records: the mechanics of using the cataloging tools for Dublin Core, DCS and non-web cataloging.
- Controlled vocabularies: a special focus on how and why to incorporate controlled vocabularies into catalog records (and elsewhere)
- Using Catalog Records: Resource Lists, search considerations, and automatic substitution