In the Eyes and Mind of a Stratigrapher
Exploring the Upper Cretaceous Hell Creek Formation, Montana
This page was written by Jen Aschoff as part of the DLESE Community Services Project: Integrating Research in Education.
Part 3: Making Connections: Comparing data, methods and interpretations
1. How do the strata, and the environments they record, relate to each other in view of Walther's Law?
2. Based on your interpretations, what is the depositional history of the Hell Creek Formation in this area?
3. After deposition, sediments were buried, lithified and subsequently exhumed for us to examine them. Explain the geologic history and landscape development of this area and list any uncertainties.
4. Compare and contrast published interpretations of the geologic history of this area and propose a future research project that may resolve a particular discrepancy.
5. A dinosaur was excavated from the strata you have just described and interpreted. What additional information can detailed sedimentology and stratigraphy provide about the dinosaur? How might one integrate paleontology, sedimentology and stratigraphy?