Assessment of Module Goals
Overall Module Assessments
The overarching summative assessment for this module is the "Soils, Systems, and Society Kit" (Kit) and presentation. For this assessment, students (pre-service elementary teachers) are required to integrate soils scientific content, interdisciplinary geoscientific data/methods, and systems thinking into a K–8, standards-based inquiry unit that teaches about a relevant societal issue. Creation of the Kit thus meets all of the module learning goals. In addition, the Kit meets InTeGrate's goal, because it requires students to learn and teach about a geoscience-related grand challenge (the focus of the Kit) using interdisciplinary activities, systems thinking, methods of geoscience, and credible geoscientific data (soil testing methods, maps and other supporting materials). The Kit and lesson plans within it are assessed using the Soils, Systems, and Society Kit Rubric (Microsoft Word 23kB Jan7 16) and, if desired, the Lesson Plan Rubric 1 (Acrobat (PDF) 44kB Feb7 14). Instructors may wish to substitute their own lesson plan rubric. If desired, the Kit presentations are assessed using the Gallery Walk Checklist (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 19kB Jun15 15).
- Soil and Society Issues Homework assignment (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 21kB Jan6 16) (formative, checked at start of Unit 2) or science journals*
- Class discussion (formative) or science journals
- Class discussion (formative) or science journals (optional rubric: Unit 3 Assessment Rubric (Microsoft Word 18kB Jan7 16))
- Informal weekly discussions on Kit progress (formative)
- Soils, Systems, and Society Kit Presentation