For the InstructorThese student materials complement the Future of Food Instructor Materials. If you would like your students to have access to the student materials, we suggest you either point them at the Student Version which omits the framing pages with information designed for faculty (and this box). Or you can download these pages in several formats that you can include in your course website or local Learning Managment System. Learn more about using, modifying, and sharing InTeGrate teaching materials.
Module 10.2: Assessing Food System Impacts on Natural Systems and Sustainability
What are the impacts of Food Systems on the Natural Systems that support our food production? You will learn about system-levels impacts and impact assessment in module 10.2. You have already considered many of these impacts on the environment in earlier modules, for example, plant domestication, nutrient cycling, water use and water pollution. You will learn about assessing impacts that emerge from the behavior of a whole food system, and practice life cycle assessment (LCA), one method used for assessing whole-system impacts.
- Earth System Impacts and Energy Use by the Food System
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA): Measuring the Impacts of Systems in Multi-part Processes
- Using LCAs, Part One: Comparing Costs and Impacts
- Using LCAs, Part Two: Assessing Hot Spots
- Knowledge Check: Earth System Impacts and Life Cycle Analysis
- Summative Assessment