Assessment of Course Goals
Module 1: Introduction
- Module 1 Summative Assessment - Students complete a preliminary concept map of a food system example, and then use a worksheet to identify human and natural components and other attributes of the food system example.
Module 2: History of Food Systems
- Module 2 Summative Assessment - Students analyze drivers and feedbacks and give examples of terminology on domestication and agrobiodiversity concepts from the module.
Module 3: Diet and Nutrition
- Module 3 Formative Assessment - Students use an online diet analysis tool to understand types of foods needed to provide all the elements of a complete diet.
- Module 3 Summative Assessment, Module - Students explore a U.S. Department of Agriculture food access mapper and learn about proposed solutions for urban food deserts.
Module 4: Food and Water
- Module 4 Formative Assessment - Students explore the concepts of virtual water and water footprints.
- Module 4 Summative Assessment - Students consider water use and irrigation efficiency for different crops as well as water quality impacts from agriculture.
Module 5: Soils as a Key Resource for Food Systems
- Module 5 Formative Assessment - Students explore an online soil mapping tool at SoilGrids.org to draw conclusions about the geography of soil properties.
- Module 5 Summative assessment - Students use nutrient flow data from two farming systems in the Ohio River watershed and the Andean region to analyze issues of nutrient sufficiency and nutrient pollution in soils.
Module 6: Crops
- Formative Assessment: Annual & Perennial Crop Analysis and Interpretation of Advantages & Disadvantages using the USDA National Agricultural Statistics Survey Crop Scape Geospatial Database: Module 6 Formative Assessment
- Formative Assessment Grading Key (Instructors access only:
- Summative Assessment: Analysis of FAO ranking of the Top 15 World Food Commodities: Module 6 Summative Assessment
- Summative Assessment Spreadsheet: Crops Summative Assessment FAO top 20 commodities Spreadsheet (Excel 2007 (.xlsx) 40kB Nov22 16)
- Summative Assessment Grading Key (Instructors access only:
Module 7: Soils and a Systems Approach to Soil Quality
- Formative Assessment: Soil Quality: Module 7 Formative Assessment
- Formative Assessment, grading key (Instructors access only:
- Summative Assessment: Interpreting a 12-year Summary of Crop and Soil management from New York: Module 7 Summative Assessment
- Summative Assessment: Interpreting a 12-year Summary of Crop and Soil management from New York, grading key (Instructors access only:
Module 8: Pests and Integrated Pest Management (IPM)
- Formative Assessment: Australian grain IPM and Economic Threshold for Alfalfa Leafhopper: Module 8 Formative Assessment
- Formative Assessment Pests and IPM, grading key (Instructors access only:
- Summative Assessment Herbicide Resistant Weed Interpretation: Module 8 Summative Assessment Worksheet (Microsoft Word 2007 (.docx) 142kB Nov1 17)]
- Pests and IPM, Module 8 Summative Assessment, grading key (Instructors access only:
Module 9: Food and Climate Change
- Module 9 Summative Assessment - Students visit the National Climate Change Viewer, explore trends in climate variables across the US, explore predictions for future climate for their capstone region, and consider possible adaptation strategies that could be implemented to make their food region more resilient to the projected future temperature changes
Module 10: Food Systems
- Module 10 Summative Assessment - Students assemble life-cycle analyses for production and transport of potatoes produced in a smallholder Andean system as compared to a high-input industrial system:
Module 11: Human-Environment Interactions
- Module 11 Formative Assessment - Students analyze resilience, adaptive capacity, and vulnerability of Hopi seed systems and food production in the U.S. southwest, using human-natural systems concepts.
- Module 11 Summative Assessment - Students analyze instances of adaptive capacity and vulnerability in a situation of extreme food insecurity in the Somali famine between 2010 and 2012.
Module 12: Future Food Scenarios Capstone Project
Rubrics to assess the capstone project are in Stages 1, 3 and 5: