For the InstructorThese student materials complement the Coastal Processes, Hazards and Society Instructor Materials. If you would like your students to have access to the student materials, we suggest you either point them at the Student Version which omits the framing pages with information designed for faculty (and this box). Or you can download these pages in several formats that you can include in your course website or local Learning Managment System. Learn more about using, modifying, and sharing InTeGrate teaching materials.
Investigating Coastal Community Vulnerability Around the World
In Module 1 you will:
- Summarize an introductory article about coastal cities and risk from floods in Time Magazine
- Use data from a report published in Nature Climate Change that ranks coastal cities according to their relative risk levels to learn more about what coastal risk and vulnerability means
- Explore selected coastal cities using Google Earth to analyze and record certain parameters such as elevation and population density.
- Use free GIS tool GeoMapApp to create elevation profiles in the selected cities.
- Use the data from these spatial analysis tools to make comparisons between cities
- Summarize you results
The following activities will help you complete the assessments in the Case Studies in the next section of this module. To get started, click the first link below or use the menu.