Plenty of Fish in the Sea?
Part C: Processing Fish
1. Read the following excerpt from the UN FAO 2018 State of World Fisheries and Aquaculture (SOFIA) report on Fish Utilization & Processing to learn more about fish, other seafood, and their byproducts as commodities. (The excerpt begins near the bottom of the first column.)
SOFIA excerpt - Fish Utilization & Processing (Acrobat (PDF) 136kB Jul8 20)
- What was the largest utilization of non-food fish production, and what amount was it of the total non-food?
- What made up the utilization of the rest of the non-food fish production?
- When prepared for human consumption, what is the main method of using fish in Developing countries? In Developed countries?
2. The frozen foods industry finally found success with the help of a man named Clarence Birdseye who developed a new technique to freeze fish that retained its fresh flavor. Read the following article to learn more: A Chilling History of Frozen Food
Stop and Think
3: Discuss how you think the ability to freeze fish changed fishing and helped it expand globally. Be sure to give examples.