Urban Farming, Soil Science and Me - Reflection 1
Skills and concepts that students must have mastered
How the activity is situated in the course
Content/concepts goals for this activity
- To elicit students' knowledge, understanding and expectation of Environmental Soil Science for Urban Sustainability in the context of community service,
- Support students in identifying what they do and not know and understand and, connecting course content to community service.
- Guide students in how to approach and learn about organizations/institutions they wish/will work with.
Higher order thinking skills goals for this activity
Other skills goals for this activity
- Writing in a cohesive logical and clear way,
- Connecting different learning contexts (academic, community, personal)
Description of the activity/assignment
- Why should you know about the people or organization with whom you'll be working?
- Why do you think this partner was chosen?
- After reading about the partner organization, how would you like to contribute to their work, (what kind of support would you give and/or project would you do?) How does it your idea/project relate to the content of the course and the organization mission and goals?
- What are you hoping to learn from the collaboration/ project?
- What do you hope to have gained from this project and
- What do you think your service-learning partner hopes to have gained after completion of this project?
Determining whether students have met the goals
Students: a) clearly show connections between personal/content/service that are relevant to the topic/ question asked; b) elaborate the thoughts for clarity; and provide sufficient examples and details) justify their thinking or "how they know what they know";
Teaching materials and tips
- Expectations For Reflections (Microsoft Word 36kB Feb9 10)
- Questions and Standards For Reflections (Microsoft Word 43kB Feb9 10)
- The DEAL Model (Acrobat (PDF) 422kB Feb9 10)