Knowledge Survey Questions - Structural Geology
Bloom's Taxonomy Level - 1
- What is a recumbent isoclinal fold?
- What is a fault-bend fold?
- What is a Brunton compass used for?
Bloom's Taxonomy Level - 2
- What are the orientations of fold axes in a thrust belt vs. a strike-slip boundary?
- What is the correlation of Mode II fractures in rock mechanics experiments to reality?
Bloom's Taxonomy Level - 3
- Create a palinspastic restoration of a thrust belt where all the structures become listric to a regional detachment.
- Characterize the stereographic projections of conical vs. cylindrical folds.
- While looking at a regional airphoto of the Appalachian's, identify anticlines and synclines, and their plunges.
- Describe the AMS fabric in a mafic dike swarm, and the implications for magma intrusion.
- How are the compatability equations useful to structural geology?
Bloom's Taxonomy Level - 4
- Describe the chronology of calcite twinning strains associated with formation of Derby Dome in the context of the Sevier-Laramide orogens.
Bloom's Taxonomy Level - 6
- Evaluate the evidence for the catastrophic motion of upper plate blocks and the Heart Mountain detachment. What slide rate is required?
- Synthesize the results of various strain measuring techniques, including calcite twin analysis, and the resultant mechanism for plate motion in Iceland.
- Evaluate the evidence that annual vertical plate motions are greater in magnitude that horizontal motions and the implications of this observation to tectonics.