At this workshop, science and education faculty members and in-service science teachers shared their experiences and expertise related to K-8 teacher preparation. Participants worked together to understand how the community is currently preparing K-8 science teachers and to share strategies for strengthening that preparation. The workshop included a combination of presentations, group discussions, a poster session, and working time for participants to reflect on how they might implement new ideas.
We began with breakfast on Friday, April 8 and finished at 3:30 on Saturday, April 9.
Workshop participants did:
- Learn about the St. Norbert College K-8 Geoscience Teacher Preparation program and associated course activities and materials;
- Share ideas and strategies from their own teacher preparation programs;
- Leave the workshop with fresh ideas and an action plan for incorporating them into their own teaching*; and
- Meet other faculty and teachers with a strong interest in improving K-8 science teacher preparation.
* In-service teachers left with ideas and an action plan for incorporating natural science into their curricula; education and science faculty left with ideas for strengthening K-8 teacher preparation at their institution.
On-site costs: Housing and meals were paid for through a grant from the National Science Foundation. To be supported by these funds, a participant must be either a US citizen, a permanent resident, or in the employ of a US institution. If you don't meet these requirements and are interested in participating in this workshop at your own expense, please contact the workshop conveners.
Travel: Participants or their home institutions covered the cost of transportation to and from the workshop.
Application Process and Selection Criteria
The workshop size was limited. In the event that there were more applicants than spaces available at the workshop, priority would have been given to teams of science and education faculty from the same institution.
The workshop application deadline was February 19, 2016.
The workshop was held at St. Norbert College in De Pere, WI. Participants stayed on campus at the Kress Inn. There was no fee for parking, and complimentary internet was available in the hotel and the meeting venue.
For More Information
Please contact Scott Kirst (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Tim Flood (email@example.com).