Introduction to Oceanography Lecture and Lab
Subject: Geoscience:Oceanography, Oceanography:Physical , Chemical
Resource Type: Course Information
Grade Level: College Lower (13-14)
Theme: Teach the Earth:Course Topics:Oceanography, Teach the Earth:Teaching Environments:Intro Geoscience
Earth System Topics: Oceans
- explain the role of plate tectonics in forming ocean basin landforms.
- describe the chemistry of seawater and understand simple chemical reactions in the ocean.
- explain the impact of the oceans on weather and climate.
- apply your knowledge about the structure of the oceans to predict distribution of sediments and life.
- describe and predict natural patterns of climate variability in the world's ice, oceans and atmosphere
- perform basic climate modeling using parameters such as greenhouse gas concentrations, ice cover, and sea surface temperature.
- discuss a current environmental issue relating to the oceans, explaining the science involved and using your knowledge to recommend solutions.
- interpret nautical, topographic, and bathymetric maps, cross-sections, graphs; and other data.
- apply critical thinking and quantitative skills to scientific problems.