Resource Type: Course Information
Grade Level: College Lower (13-14)
Earth System Topics: Oceans
- predict the average temperature (habitability) of a planet based on its orbital period.
- predict the temperature profile of an n-layer atmosphere with greenhouse gases.
- predict the seasonal precipitation and temperature cycle for any location on Earth.
- evaluate whether a feedback is positive or negative.
- interpret temperature/salinity changes from a marine oxygen isotope curve.
- formulate and solve an isotopic mass balance equation relating ice volume/sea level, temperature and d18O.
- formulate and solve an isotope mass balance equation relating carbon cycle changes (fossil fuel burning, marine methane hydrate release, changing in size of terrestrial biosphere) and d13C.
- evaluate the importance of a climate-changing mechanism based on the timescale/time period of interest.
- evaluate the scientific merit of mass-media reports on climate science, and explain it to their family/friends.
How course activities and course structure help students achieve these goals: